[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Reviving the Deployment Team

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Tue Aug 4 19:37:30 EDT 2009

The first step, from the implementation, side is going back to the
basics; focusing on easy technical bugs and easy usability bug.  The
goal is establishing respect and trust between the deployment team and
the developer team.

If we reflect on went well and what did not go so well last year.
Not so well:
We lost some of the passion because we focused on 'nut and bolts'
rather than big ideas.
We lost contact with students, teachers, and deployers by focusing on
the platform.
Well:
Built core community which practices constructionism.  The release
cycle is fundamentally a constructionism cycle. As a community, we
come up with feature requests, technical shortcomings, and usability
shortcomings.  Then, thorough collaboration on the mail lists we came
up with testable solutions.  After a release, there is a period of
reflection on how well those solutions worked.

Established a strong culture of mentoring over telling, leading over
managing,  _doing_ what we can do over _talking_ about what we should
do.

Established a culture of participation over producer/consumer.

Looking forward:
Use what worked well to make progress on the parts of the project
which did not work so well.  High level-- try to create a deployment
team which shares the overall mission, vision,  values, and culture of
Sugar Labs.

Concrete step to make this happen:
1.  If you are at a deployment please start sending bug reports about
minor issues.
2.  If you are not at a deployment please act as a bridge between
deployments and developers.
3.  Everyone can monitor Sur, ieap, and sugar-dev; whenever you see a
issue come in please engage the reporter to help him or her turn the
issue into a good bug report.

Reporting minor issue might seem counter intuitive when looking at it
from a bang-for-buck pov.  But, from a community pov minor issues are
easy to report, easy to turn into bug reports, and often easy to fix.
By starting small we can learn and gain confidence that the process we
are creating work.  Once we have confidence in the process we turn
100% of our energies towards solving those hard problems.

hope that helps
david