[Sugar-devel] Need Help: usb drive not visible in the journal

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Tue Aug 4 18:28:22 EDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 4:11 PM, sumit singh <sumit.coder at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jim ,
>
> Thanx a lot for your help. It worked. I was completely unaware of
> anything like that.
>
> Regards,
> sumit
>
> On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 9:13 PM, Jim Simmons<nicestep at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sumit,
> >
> > I've experienced this on my own XO.  One thing I've found that helps
> > in this situation is to remove the hidden file that Sugar puts on the
> > drive.  I think it's named .olpc, but in any case it begins with a
> > period.  Sometimes if this file is present the thumb drive will not
> > appear to be mounted in the Journal, and other times you may have new
> > content on the drive copied from a non-Sugar environment and it won't
> > show up in the Journal.  Removing this file can fix both problems.  In
> > any case, it should not harm anything.    You can use the Terminal
> > Activity to do it.
> >
> > James Simmons
> >

> >> Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 16:16:39 +0530
> >> From: sumit singh <sumit.coder at gmail.com>
> >> Subject: [Sugar-devel] Need Help: usb drive not visible in the journal
> >> To: sugar-devel at lists.sugarlabs.org, devel at lists.laptop.org,    Tomeu
> >>        Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org>
> >>
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I am facing a sort of weird problem at this point. On my xo, my usb
> >> drives are not visible in the journal. I mean the icons at the bottom
> >> of the journal are not visible. However, to my surprise my usb
> >> drives(pendrives) are mounted and I can access them from the terminal.
> >> I have tested it with 3 pen drives so I don't think its due to my pen
> >> drive. Moreover, these pen drives are not even visible in the
> >> objectChooser widget when I invoke it through any of the xo activities
> >> like write or paint.
> >>
> >> Can anybody please suggest me a solution. Moreover, is there any way
> >> to access the data in the journal through the terminal, I mean there
> >> are many activities which saves data into the journal and I am in
> >> severe need to access that data. Is there any way to do so. I got this
> >> link-
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Copy_to_and_from_the_Journal#Copy_from_Journal_script
> >> , but I think the names of files are hashed and I won't be able to
> >> recognize my file in this case.
> >>
> >> Kindly give your suggestions.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> sumit

I've seen this as well. I have a 4GB Sandisk "Freedom" stick, which used to
show up until some time ago. Deleting .olpc_store fixed it. The stick
mounted ok in the system though . df -h would show it as mounted, but it
wouldn't show in the journal until I deleted .olpc_store

cheers,
Sameer
--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.