[Sugar-devel] sugar and nfs

Luke Faraone luke at faraone.cc
Tue Aug 4 15:39:43 EDT 2009

On Aug 4, 2009, at 12:04, Philippe Clérié <philippe at gcal.net> wrote:

> My immediate concern is that the usb stick starts up with a default
> user and there's no obvious way, from sugar, to change user names or
> even hostnames.

As it well shouldn't. Such tasks require system administrator
privlages and are beyond the scope of the Sugar UI at this time.

> Sure it can be done via the command line. No problem
> with that. But I have a nagging feeling that there maybe hard coded
> dependencies on some default user withing sugar.

That is simply not the case, people are happily running Sugar on
Fedora with a variety of hostnames and users.

Whether individual activity authors and vendors have bugs and hard-
coded paths is unknowable, but such things should be reported in Trac.

NFS should be trivial, this *is* POSIX after all. You could even use
symlinks to a sshfs share with GmailFS running on a BSD server for all
Sugar is concerned.

--
Luke Faraone