[Sugar-devel] About the need for .xo bundles (again) (was Re: safer customization key (was Re: will the one true browse please stand up?))
martin at martindengler.com
Tue Aug 4 09:18:01 EDT 2009
On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 10:10:59PM +0545, Daniel Drake wrote:
> 2009/8/1 Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org>:
> > They haven't solved the problems we want to solve and are probably not
> > even interested in trying. I'm a bit suprised you are not aware of
> > this, there was a whole session dedicated to this in the last FUDCon
> > in boston. Anyone has a link to the minutes?
> Which problems are those?
XO design goals not currently satisfied by RPM
1. Installing by "getting from a friend"
2. Kids can change and redistribute bundles.
1. Kid bundles are "first class" (distributed versioning implies
3. Don't break the world at install time
4. Localizability in the absence of a cantralized repo
5. Novice programmers using [Pippy]
1. Should activities be noarch?
• Short-term -- XO format not going away because of requirements not in RPM or
any other package format.
• Other problems underneath -- development standards for activity developers.
(What is testing, what is release.)
• This is the release, pull it from git, and build an installable package ==
something that helps XO and RPM potentially.
> > [Tomeu]
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 189 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/attachments/20090804/a0ddf5c5/attachment.pgp
More information about the Sugar-devel