[Sugar-devel] Additional data for corrupted SoaS

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Tue Aug 4 09:11:44 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 01:52:31PM +0100, Martin Dengler wrote:

>> Some discussion on irc of possible solutions [to ext3 problems]:
> We should be using ext2, not ext3, in the future so that we don't
> have a journal to corrupt.
That's no solution. You'll just corrupt the rest of the filesystem
instead, with no information about what parts of the filesystem might be
damaged.
For simple "media goes offline" / power outage cases, journal=data
should be enough to preserve the integrity of the device. For
altered-data cases (that I sure hope won't happen with regular USB
sticks!), you'll need something that adds redundancy, i.e. some kind of
single-device RAID5. I don't know of anything in the Linux kernel that
would provide this kind of thing (for regular block devices, not raw
NAND access).

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/