[Sugar-devel] buddy tags

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Tue Aug 4 07:35:38 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 21:39, Gary C Martin<gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
> On 2 Aug 2009, at 15:00, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>
>> Hi Gary (and others),
>>
>> what was decided about buddy tagging?
>
> No one else has commented yet :-(

Doesn't hurt pinging people, sometimes one doesn't reply because
thinks someone else will do so first and doesn't want to step on that
person's comments.

I personally don't feel nor qualified nor with enough time to really
get into the design discussions, but I'm happy to ping from time to
time for conclusions so we end up having an actionable plan,
regardless of who will implement it.

>> Were you interested in working on it?
>
> Yes, I've just added some new mock-ups (keeping them as simple/achievable as
> possible), so maybe someone else can take a look at them and provide some
> feedback:
>
>        http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Proposals/Buddy_Tags

Those look great to me.

> Though I'm not sure I have the stamina to get past your code reviews for any
> original coding. It's hard enough to get a bug fix r+ accepted when making a
> minimal tweak to existing code! ;-)

This I will reply in a new thread.

>> From the last Sugar releases tags are broadcasted along the rest of
>> the buddy info when using gabble. Was it decided that we also needed
>> tags in Salut for 0.86? Or it could come in a later stage?
>

> Not knowing the amount of work involved I can't really make a call. My last
> comment is best I can make:
>
> "Well ejabberd was definitely the first to have solved as it represents a
> solution for a more dispersed community, less likely to know about the
> others. But having both [gabble + salut] would obviously be much more
> consistent.– If you told me 'journal grid view' won't happen, or tool bar
> 'stop' always visible won't happen, or 'ad-hoc wirless networks' won't
> happen, or 'tags under Journal titles' won't happen, or 'Metacity layering
> issue will persist',– then I'd say let salut slip to 0.88."

Well, it surely seems like a good amount of work, specially for
someone not familiar yet with mdns and telepathy internals. Things are
more complicated because of a good part of telepathy-salut being
rewritten soon. So I would say to wait for the next cycle.

> I was also hoping to get some feedback on the first boot experience if
> anyone has a strong opinion:
>
> "I really do like the simple 'first' boot experience, pick colours, enter
> name, and your are done! Great! What do folks think about exposing an
> optional self tag prompt at this point? Wording is going to be tough, and
> would likely need some prompting example tags. As a challenge, feel free to
> reply with some single word tag lists you might assign to yourself..."

I see this as really challenging. What about only listing interests?
And perhaps only interests that are related to activities we already
have in Sugar (and are probably preinstalled)? Something like: 'music,
drawing, reading, games, ...'? That may have more chances to ring a
bell than things that currently fall outside Sugar like football,
climbing, etc

Regards,

Tomeu