[Sugar-devel] buddy tags

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Mon Aug 3 15:39:57 EDT 2009

On 2 Aug 2009, at 15:00, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:

> Hi Gary (and others),
>
> what was decided about buddy tagging?

No one else has commented yet :-(

> Were you interested in working on it?

Yes, I've just added some new mock-ups (keeping them as simple/
achievable as possible), so maybe someone else can take a look at them
and provide some feedback:

	http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Proposals/Buddy_Tags

Though I'm not sure I have the stamina to get past your code reviews
for any original coding. It's hard enough to get a bug fix r+ accepted
when making a minimal tweak to existing code! ;-)

> From the last Sugar releases tags are broadcasted along the rest of
> the buddy info when using gabble. Was it decided that we also needed
> tags in Salut for 0.86? Or it could come in a later stage?

Not knowing the amount of work involved I can't really make a call. My
last comment is best I can make:

"Well ejabberd was definitely the first to have solved as it
represents a solution for a more dispersed community, less likely to
know about the others. But having both [gabble + salut] would
obviously be much more consistent.– If you told me 'journal grid view'
won't happen, or tool bar 'stop' always visible won't happen, or 'ad-
hoc wirless networks' won't happen, or 'tags under Journal titles'
won't happen, or 'Metacity layering issue will persist',– then I'd say
let salut slip to 0.88."

I was also hoping to get some feedback on the first boot experience if
anyone has a strong opinion:

"I really do like the simple 'first' boot experience, pick colours,
enter name, and your are done! Great! What do folks think about
exposing an optional self tag prompt at this point? Wording is going
to be tough, and would likely need some prompting example tags. As a
challenge, feel free to reply with some single word tag lists you
might assign to yourself..."

Regards,
--Gary