[Sugar-devel] [SoaS] Major Changes in the latest Snapshot

Christoph Derndorfer christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 04:48:44 EDT 2009

Hi,

thanks a lot for the release, I downloaded the appliance and tested it for a
bit with VirtualBox 3.0.2.

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 4:47 AM, Sebastian Dziallas <sebastian at when.com>wrote:

> Known bugs include a killed X server each time an activity saves to the
> journal. Please report all other issues you encounter (and note the
> build date when opening a ticket please)!

One issue I ran into - though like with the other ones I'm not sure whether
this is SoaS specific or not - is that the Jigsaw puzzle activity starts at
a very odd location (similar to the "name your entry overlay"), see the
attached screenshot for what it looks like.

Another thing that confused me is that in the control panel under "about my
computer" it says Sugar: 0.85.1 when I had expected to see 0.85.3 there (per
Sebastian's message above).

Two small issues I found in the write-63 activity bundled with this release
are that "Style" (on the Format tab) and "Page" (on the View tab) labels
contain a trailing "_" that's probably not supposed to be there.
Another issue I found is that when you're in an activity and hovering over
either the "view" icons or activity icons the popup menu (telling you which
view you're looking at or containing the "resume", "stop" or "view code"
functions) doesn't seem to show up or potentially does show up but is
layered behind the running activity.

One interesting observation was that not all activities seemed to trigger
that "killing X server" behaviour mentioned by Sebastian, the Paint activity
for example seems to do just fine with keeping in and resuming from the
Journal.

One last general comment: I'm slightly confused by the design of the "share
with" button as there don't seem to be any associated texts when hovering
over the icon for "neighborhood". Also once shared the icon's hover menu
only says "My neighborhood" which I find a bit simplistic.

Hope those comments are somehow helpful.

Cheers,
Christoph

--
Christoph Derndorfer