[Sugar-devel] Screen Reposition?

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Sun Aug 2 19:23:13 EDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 1:45 PM, Art Hunkins<abhunkin at uncg.edu> wrote:
> Yes, my version of SoaS is the most recent Strawberry.
>
> I'd like my new activity to work on XO-1 as well as SoaS in as many contexts
> as possible.
>
> There seems a disconnect between "other efforts to make builds specific for
> the XO" and creating/hosting new activities, which only seems to be
> happening at Sugar Labs. Am I on target here?

Yes, you are right about the the disconnect _and_ the disconnect is
inherent to the upstream downstream projects.  Upstream tend to focus
on pushing the technology forward.  Open source developers like to
work at the bleeding edge.  On the other side, deployers often _need_
to support a version of software for three or more years.

If you you want to host a application which runs on an older version
of Sugar, as is on the recent XO releases, you will need to conform to
the older versions API and quirks.  Then when uploading it to ASLO you
can tick a box to mark the Sugar release on which it runs.

If you you want to host a application which runs on the current
version of sugar, as is on the recent SoaS releases, you will need to
conform to the newer versions API and quirks.  Then when uploading it
to ASLO you can tick a box to mark the Sugar release on which it runs.

Hopefully as Sugar Labs and deployers better understand each others
needs, we can work together to minimize these disconnects.

david