[Sugar-devel] Local Collaboration with an ethernet bug 1113

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Sun Aug 2 12:25:34 EDT 2009

[re-adding sugar-devel to CC]

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 17:09, Caroline Meeks<caroline at solutiongrove.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I think anyone with 3 computers, 3 sticks and a cheap hub could try to
> replicate.  no need to be local.

Why do you think that any computers and any cheap hub will display the
same behavior? Collaboration on link-local (server-less) works for me
always on the limited networking setups I have available.

> I bought the 5 port version of this:
> http://www.netgear.com/Products/Switches/DesktopSwitches/FS605.aspx

Even if it's the same product from the marketing POV, differences on
the parts, firmware and configuration can cause link-local
communication work or not work.

Without a local person who can use the same equipment you use, I don't
know how we are going to be able to help you with this, even if we buy
what we think is the same equipment.

> I was not connected to the internet.  My use case is classrooms and booths
> where no wired internet access is available but we want to allow people to
> collaborate locally.

This requires that the computers involved are in the same link-local
segment. Do you know if that setup fulfils this requirement?

Regards,

Tomeu