[Sugar-devel] Sugar on a Stick File Structure - Summary of problems and potential solutions

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Sat Aug 1 19:18:16 EDT 2009

My original response went only to you (it seems like I'm having more
and more of this, sorry about that) so you in turn only replied to me.

Here it is for all the list to benefit :)

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 01:12, Caroline Meeks<caroline at solutiongrove.com> wrote:
> All,
> This was my attempt to put together a list from the brainstorming we have
> been doing so we can all look at it, generate more ideas and decide which
> ones we can eliminate.
>
> Hi Mathieu,
> Thanks, I didn't know that a full install still wouldn't be readable on a
> windows machine.  I;d be interested if anyone has any ideas.
> Its not unusual for things you want to optimize to be correlated negatively
> or positively.
> Also the things to be optimized are not necessarily things that are wrong
> with the current system for instance it excels at size.
> Mathieu, can you tell me more or point me to documentation about the
> Overlay?

Jeremy Katz, one of the Fedora devs that worked on the liveCD/USB
technology we use in Fedora already answered and shared some light in
the other thread where you were asking for more information (I had put
him in CC). You should definitely bounce on his answer if you still
need more, I think he's one of the people with the most knowledge on
this matter :)

> Walter,
> We are clearly
> mis understanding each other somewhere.  Would it help if I changed
>  "Solutions currently being considered:" to
> "Potential Solutions we are currently considering testing to see if they
> work and how they compare on the things we want to optimize for:"
> I'll start another thread about failures and what we know about them within
> the next 48 hours.
> Walter, can your OpenSuse USB can be read by Windows?

Except if the OpenSUSE key uses FAT32 (or NTFS) as a filesystem, I
doubt it will (and I really doubt those are used on a Linux live
system :)

Best regards,