[Sugar-devel] Sugar on a Stick File Structure - Summary of problems and potential solutions

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Sat Aug 1 13:20:11 EDT 2009

Here is a summary of how I see the problems and the solutions we are
evaluating. Let me know if this is correct.

Problems we'd like solve:
To be acceptable a solution should solve all of these problems.

   1. Reduce the frequency of sticks not being bootable after usage
   2. Allow a VM system to read user files and thus allow us to create a VM
   that can switch users
   3. Allow a user to put the stick into a windows/mac/linux machine and
   find their files
   4. Ready for Sept deployment at GPA

Things we wish to optimized

   1. Ability to work with poor quality sticks
   2. Size of stick needed
   3. Amount of abuse the stick can take and still work
   4. Size of download to create the stick
   5. Time it takes to create the stick
   6. Easy user experience creating the stick
   7. Speed of the stick in use
   8. Minimize development time invested in the immediate future
   9. Familiar and easy to understand

We expect different solutions to be different in terms of how they do on
these criteria

Solutions currently being considered:

   1. Fixing the current system in some way? (Do we have a plan that uses
   the current file structure and solves all of the problems?)
   2. Full install of Fedora
   3. Switch to OpenSuse
   4. Create a stick using Fedora code in the same way that OpenSuse creates
   their stick? (Is this a possibility?)
   5. Trying to find a file system expert to deploy some sort of journaling
   file structure that is designed for robustness.

--
Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove

617-500-3488 - Office