[Sugar-devel] safer customization key (was Re: will the one true browse please stand up?)

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Sat Aug 1 13:08:43 EDT 2009

Daniel Drake wrote:
> 2009/8/1 Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org>:
>> What do you propose doing?
>
> Leaving packaging to the experts (the distributions) and focusing on
> being a good upstream -- only stepping into the packaging areas where
> the distro people are lacking.
>
> I think activities should be packaged by distros and we should use
> their standard systems, which have already solved this class of
> problem 5 times over.

The distros have solved the problem of efficiently installing untrusted
packages created, modified and shared by the users, without root
privileges, across all architectures? No.  They have solved the problem of
installing platform-specific trusted binaries, provided in an unmodifiable
form by a central source, with full system administration privileges.

The problem we are trying to solve is not merely a standard package
installation problem, because Sugar is not merely Linux.  Sugar's goal is
to empower students to dive in and change how the system works.  Otherwise
we might as well use XFCE.

--Ben