[Sugar-devel] Initial implementation of toolbars design

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sat Aug 1 10:19:46 EDT 2009

On 1 Aug 2009, at 14:51, Aleksey Lim wrote:

>>> We land it today, Browse and Write are ready, so we can get
>>> feedback on them. From the schedule we still have a bit of time.
>>> So I am positive.

>>> Looks like we are over this point, following the other discussions
>>> in this thread.

>>> Same here.
>>>
>>> Btw - we went at the moment for eben's design. Gary, we could use
>>> your design (with title entry in the top) and test it out, if you
>>> think it is worth doing comparing tests.
>>
>> Let's get feedback with what has been implemented so far and iterate
>> on it if there are agreed issues. My main concern at the moment is
>> that we have complicated the trivial Activity case, in that there is
>> no longer an option for just providing a single main toolbar. Every
>> Activity has to now deal with loss of canvas space and dynamic
>> resizing caused by the secondary activity toolbar design (that's one
>> reason I didn't like that path).
>>
>> Who is the poor soul that's going to have to sort out TamTamMini, I
>> vote for alsroot ;-b
>
> Well, I have around 14(including TamTamMini) activities on git.sl.o
> to switch to new toolbars.. so you can wish me luck.

Good luck!

Quick question: Are you going to try and support existing deployments
and keep and maintain both toolbar implementations? That is certainly
(but painfully) my plan, as that's where 99.9% of our users are. You
might need to wish me luck as well, as I'm not half as code prolific
as you ;-)

Regards,
--Gary