[Sugar-devel] Keyboard shortcuts

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 23:15:02 EDT 2009

A few more little things which I didn't include in messages 0.9 and 1.0

-Insert key as frame key would not currently work in Xephyr. Xephyr hears
keycode 0 when you hit insert, which should be invalid. You cannot set 0x00
as an accelerator because eggaccelerators.c lines 350-352 explicitly catch
that "error". I propose simply removing this useless error-checking, which
would allow us to workaround the stupid xephyr bug on that one issue without
affecting anyone else.

The rest of the following ideas are on the wiki proposal but I didn't
mention them because don't plan on implementing in this round.

-Holding alt should bring up a popup window explaining the global shortcut
keys. Which also suggests the idea of "help" and "context-sensitive-help"
keys; perhaps alt itself?

-modifiers should be sticky for a configurable time delay or until the first
keystroke, whichever is first. Except that sticky-ctrl would differ from
normal-ctrl when it modified a global key combo: <sticky-ctrl>F1 would not
be <ctrl>F1 but just F1 to the activity instead of to sugar.

and-one-more-thing-ly y'rs,
Jameson