[Sugar-devel] Why setup.py?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Apr 28 11:30:51 EDT 2009

On 28.04.2009, at 16:36, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 16:30, Bert Freudenberg
> <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>>
>> On 28.04.2009, at 16:22, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:

>>> I don't think it's a requirement of Sugar, but a convenience for
>>> packagers.
>>

>> But if it is the same for every activity, why can't it ship with
>> Sugar
>> then? Why does each activity have to include it?
>
> Because the idea is that activity authors extend it for their own
> needs.

Okay. I'll add it then.

>> And if you insist that an activity should provide a setup.py file,
>> where is the spec? How can I verify it's working and covering all
>> cases? What does it do?
>
> The spec is waiting someone to write it ;)
>
> setup.py exists because it addresses a real need, not to say it's the
> best solution, but works.

Maybe. What does it do? Here is its non-helpful help message:

===================================
[bert at fedora10 Etoys.activity]$ ./setup.py --help
Usage: [action] [options]

   -h, --help  show this help message and exit

>> And what will happen if someone invokes it from the etoys git repo,
>> which includes many more files than go into the activity bundle?
>
> TBH, I don't know much about setup.py, but I think you specify in
> MANIFEST which files you want to go into the bundle.

That would make sense. In fact, I previously made a mkDist.py script
(in the etoys repo) that would call the bundle builder to create an xo
bundle. It sets the dist_dir variable in the Config object. How would
I set the dist_dir when using setup.py?

- Bert -