[Sugar-devel] Why setup.py?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Apr 28 10:30:21 EDT 2009

On 28.04.2009, at 16:22, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 16:16, Bert Freudenberg
> <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

>>> In that case user(not only packager) has a standard way to bundle
>>> installed activity(by command "./setup.py dist_xo") despite of the
>>> nature
>>> of this activity.
>>>
>>> Packager can have standard way to install it by command
>>> "./setup.py install" as well
>>

>> To install an activity, unzip it in the right location. Same for the
>> tarball - simply extract it, done.
>>
>> Activities were specifically designed to not require installation.
>> Unzipping the .xo is all that is needed.
>>
>> If this design changed, someone failed to notify activity authors and
>> to update the documentation. If so, please specify how setup.py is
>> going to get invoked, and what it is supposed to do.
>
> I don't think it's a requirement of Sugar, but a convenience for
> packagers.

But if it is the same for every activity, why can't it ship with Sugar
then? Why does each activity have to include it?

And if you insist that an activity should provide a setup.py file,
where is the spec? How can I verify it's working and covering all
cases? What does it do?

And what will happen if someone invokes it from the etoys git repo,
which includes many more files than go into the activity bundle?

- Bert -