[Sugar-devel] [SoaS] Resuming Snapshot Creation

Carol Farlow Lerche cafl at msbit.com
Fri Apr 24 14:35:10 EDT 2009

In general, as root use:

# find / -type f -exec grep -nH 'SUGAR_SCALING' {} \;

Supplant SUGAR_SCALING with any string you want to look for.  One doesn't
need the single quotes in this case, but if the string had shell sensitive
characters it would alleviate the need to escape them.  Also, instead of
-nH, use -nHi to be case insensitive.  See the grep man page to find out
about regular expression patterns, and the find manual for constraining the
files that will be examined.

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com>wrote:

> On 24 Apr 2009, at 09:31, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 01:10, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com>
> > wrote:

> >> Hi Sebastian, just some quick feedback.
> >>
> >> OK managed to boot the .vmdk here on a Mac (VirtualBox), seemed a
> >> little more painful than previous ones I've tried. Odd Sun licensing
> >> page and account/password user registration, then lot's of errors,
> >> but
> >> booted after that into the Gnome login and then into Sugar.
> >>
> >> Regarding activities, all I'm only seeing Pippy-25, Calculate-28,
> >> Jukebox-8, Chat-65, ImageViewer-7, Write-63, Terminal-25,
> >> TurtleArt-41, Browse-108, Read-66, Log-18, Etoys-100. Perhaps the
> >> screed of errors I got at first boot were failed bundle installs
> >> (sorry, was on auto pilot and just clicked past without reading)?
> >>
> >> Pippy launches but is still unusable as it's missing all buttons and
> >> all examples due to broken font size or layout.
> >>
> >> In the 800x600 default resolution I was presented with, activities
> >> like Write with more than 5 tabs, I didn't realise that tabs had no
> >> UI
> >> fallback if there was not enough horizontal space (vs. toolbar
> >> buttons
> >> that get a drop-down "v" menu with any overflow buttons). I'm sure
> >> this breaks a few other activities. FWIW 800x600 is too small for
> >> Sugar in many UI places, quite a fixer-upper job if serious intention
> >> is to play well at 800x600.
> >
> > I suspect you are using SUGAR_SCALING=100 and need to use 72 instead.
> > Chema's patch at http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/39 would have set it
> > for you automatically, but I would like to find a solution that took
> > into account both the screen size (in pixels) and the dpi. Maybe we
> > could calculate the size in mm and use that instead?
>
> Yea just checked, the env is SUGAR_SCALING=100
>
> >> TurtleArt fails to launch, log suggests issue with numpy: File "/usr/
> >> lib/python2.6/site-packages/numpy/polynomial.py, line 18; from
> >> numpy.linalg import eigvals, listsq; ImoortError: No module named
> >> linalg (sorry couldn't copy paste the full traceback, some breakage
> >> in
> >> numpy.oldnumeric support?).
> >
> > http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/797
>
> Any pointers to the file where SUGAR_SCALING is being set? Wanted to
> manually tweak and try at 72, but don't know the start-up sequence
> files (the patch mentions sugar.in but that file doesn't seem to exist
> in a real build, poking about xinitrc/Xsessions/Xclients and the /etc/
> init.d I came up blank).
>
> Regards,
> --Gary
>
> >> The other activities I saw present launched fine (though most were
> >> unpleasant at 800x600).
> >>
> >> Access to the network worked (surfed in Browse) and I could see folks
> >> on the default jabber server.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Tomeu
> >
> >> Regards,
> [...]

"I don't consider him a particularly reliable source of information."

-- Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, at a House Foreign Affairs Committee
meeting, on former Vice President Dick Cheney.