[Sugar-devel] record-61 on an xo?

Erik Blankinship erikb at mediamods.com
Fri Apr 24 11:36:04 EDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 6:46 AM, Aleksey Lim <alsroot at member.fsf.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 12:03:32AM -0400, Erik Blankinship wrote:
> > [apologies if this is double posted]
> >
> > I am wondering if anyone has tested Record-61 on an xo-1?  Excited to try
> it
> > out myself, but want to check if that is a targeted platform.
> >
> > I ask because a quick glance at the updates to the code (specifically
> > glive.py) suggests to me that the xo-1 hardware might have a hard time
> > recording video with synchronized audio.
>
> Well, old code did only video encoding on-the-fly
> I added audio encoding to use only one pass -

The xo-1 did not seem to have the processing power to successfully encode
video and audio simultaneously.  The resulting videos were very choppy when
played back (both video and audio).

The xo-1 also did not have enough drive space (or speed?) to hold large
amounts of uncompressed video.

Therefore, the video was encoded on-the-fly, and the audio was saved
directly to disk (uncompressed audio takes up less space than the
uncompressed video).

The final step was to mux and encode the audio into one file.

I suspect a similar solution for video with synchronized audio might be
required for other netbooks with limited hardware resources.

I am not sure how the sugar team plans to target activities to different
platforms.

   - download record-notebook-61.xo or record-netbook-61.xo ?
   - activity-authors query the system for flags about the hardware's
   capabilities and in the case of record use a different set of pipelines?

Erik