[Sugar-devel] [SoaS] USB stick has to be labeled FEDORA when using Boot Helper CD, persistent storage not used

Caroline Meeks solutiongrove at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 13:32:21 EDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 9:38 PM, Ton van Overbeek <tvoverbeek at gmail.com>wrote:

> When using the latest Boot Helper CD
> (http://people.sugarlabs.org/sdz/soas-boot.iso) the USB stick has to
> be labeled
> FEDORA, otherwise the boot hangs.
> When you created the stick with liveusb creator and included a
> persistent storage on the stick, this persistent storage
> will *not* be used when booting via the CD (reason: the initrd from
> the CD is used and it uses the USB stick as an
> overlay, the extra overlay needed for the persisten storage is not
> used, since the CD does not know the label/UUID
> for the persistent storage file).

I just tested booting from CD plus USB and it seemed to use persistent
storage ok.  Can you confirm its not remembering things when you boot with
the boot helper CD.  This is an important bug if it exists and a tricky one
if its not consistent.

Thanks,
Caroline

> Any chance this can be fixed for the Boot Helper CD case ?
> Should I file a ticket about this (no persistent storage when using
> the Boot Helper CD) ?
>
> I edited the SoaS wiki page and added this information.
>
> With the Boot Helper CD and a properly labeled SoaS USB stick I was
> able to boot into Sugar on my Windows XP virtual
> machine in VMware Fusion on my brand new Macbook Pro.
>
> Ton van Overbeek

Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove
Caroline at SolutionGrove.com