[Sugar-devel] Feedback on Actual SoaS Beta 1

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Mon Apr 20 12:04:26 EDT 2009

I tried the latest beta over the weekend.  I created the stick I used
last time without overlaying home, so I kept the stuff I had on there
before.  My comments:

1).  It looks like the evince djvu plugin was included this time.  I
installed it using yum last week, but I would have expected it to be
overlaid in the process of updating the stick, so I assume that the
plugin is now part of the SoaS image.  It works well.

2).  Read Etexts still has the issue when using highlighted speech that
the highlighted text lags behind the words spoken on some machines.  On
others it works fine.  I would say that the more powerful the machine
the less likely this lag is to occur, but it seems to be more
complicated than that.  For instance, it works great on an HP Vectra but
not on an IBM NetVista which I would have thought was as good as or
better than the Vectra.  This seems to be an issue with the gstreamer
espeak plugin.

3).  I tried installing the Tam Tam activities.  Tam Tam Mini would not
start, and when I looked at the log it reported a missing source file
that should have been in the Tam Tam Mini bundle.  I also tried Hablar
Con Sara and got a syntax error in the voice.py file.

As a sanity check I installed both Activities in my Sugar test
environment, the one included with Fedora 10.  Both started up OK.  So
it seems to be something with SoaS.

Other Tam Tam Activities seemed to work OK, but sluggishly.

4).  I liked the improvements to the Journal, especially the "Open With"
menu that you can now get without viewing the Journal entry details
window.  I'm also pleased that meta data now persists across reboots.

5).  I fooled around with InfoSlicer and liked it.  It took me awhile to
figure out what it was for and how to use it.  Maybe in addition to the
articles on animals it ships with it could include a brief tutorial?

OT, while I couldn't get Hablar Con Sara to work on SoaS I did try it on
my Fedora 10 Sugar environment.  To me it looked like Speak with fewer
features.  The activities.sugarlabs.org site recommends this Activity
but doesn't tell you why.  There isn't a even good description of what
it does.

James Simmons