[Sugar-devel] XO Gen 1.5

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sat Apr 18 09:55:26 EDT 2009

On 18 Apr 2009, at 14:23, Christoph Derndorfer wrote:

> Am 18.04.2009 um 08:16 schrieb NoiseEHC <NoiseEHC at freemail.hu>:
>
>> Hi!
>> I would like to ask these questions from OLPC staff:

>>> This is going to be a hard trap not to fall into, although several
>>> of
>>> the primary activities (Browse and Write) are based on desktop
>>> products that are not necessarily aimed at low-power or embedded
>>> systems, so I don't know if things will actually be any different.
>>>
>> What about the integrated 3D support? Are you planning to support
>> OpenGL? In that case there will be a very wide performance gap (like
>> 3D acceleration vs no 3D acceleration)...
>
> I honestly can't think of a use-case for including any sort of 3D
> acceleration into the basic Sugar and activities. There's about a
> million significantly more important things that people should be
> working on before even thinking about 3D (IMHO).

You need to think harder ;-) 2 words... Google Earth.

I'm working on a compromise solution given there is no 3d support on
the XO. It's a ~half screen resolution rotating globe that will accept
khtml coords (compatibility with outside world). After much poking
I've settled on about 3-4Mb of pre-rendered rotating Earth movie, from
3 different latitude angles; this gives smooth rotation around the
planet, and 3 view angles north, equator, and south. Then planning to
layer on city/country label markers. Idea for sharing is so that you
can create a list of geotags (probably just textual for now) and share
them with someone else.

Don't hold your breath, I seem to be a slow worker with OSS tools and
APIs, but it is happening.

Regards,
--Gary