[Sugar-devel] UI mockups for version support in Journal

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Fri Apr 17 10:13:16 EDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 07:50:07AM -0400, Eben Eliason wrote:

> I don't think you'll need a custom widget. Just setup the model
> correctly and it should all work. Check out this thread. It has some
> pointers on how to make things work correctly, and some source code is
> included at the bottom of the 3rd reply, I think:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/pygtk@daa.com.au/msg09625.html
Thanks for the pointer, xalign might certainly get useful. As we only
show (filled or non-filled) stars, i.e. always the same width, we don't
need it yet. It would require changes to sugar.graphics.ComboBox.

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 07:56:05AM -0400, Eben Eliason wrote:

> You don't need a CanvasIcon to colorize, I don't think. We support
> colorizing icons in menus, which behave similarly to comboboxes I'd
> think. Anyway, colored would be preferred.
I poked around a bit and found uses of sugar.graphics.Icon that might be
what I need. Also erikos pointed out I can use hippo.CanvasWidget
instead of a custom wrapper.
But it still seems I need to either use gtk.ComboBox directly or extend
sugar.graphics.ComboBox as the latter one only allows for icon names,
not Icon/pixmap instances to be passed. Unless there is an icon file
(name) that contains a filled/colored version of the star, that is (I
haven't found one).

> Also (Again wishing I had the mockup), I don't think the star should
> be shown in the combobox itself. It's redundant info, as the star will
> always appear to the left of the activity icon. Instead, the star is
> useful only within the menu itself, where it serves as adde context in
> leu of a full display of the entry. I'm not sure if that's possible,
> though...it would be great if it is, because the star in the closed
> combobox is unwanted, I think.
I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean that you want the stars only in
the "opened" ComboBox, but not the "closed" one? I.e. [1] not showing
the star, but [2] showing it?
Apart from doing my own version of gtk.ComboBox, it might be possible to
emulate that style using callbacks by (de)activating the icon column
upon popup/popdown.

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Image:Journal-version-mockup-4.png
[2] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Image:Journal-version-mockup-5.png

CU Sascha