[Sugar-devel] GSoC proposal: version support for data store and Journal

Bobby Powers bobbypowers at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 14:53:39 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-16 at 11:57 +0200, Sascha Silbe wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 01:17:17PM +0200, Martin Langhoff wrote:
>
> > And... we're moving away from generic-ising Sugar's main contact
> > points. Whatever happened with the idea of riding on gnome's overahaul
> > of the file picker / manager?
> I think we are currently running ahead of Gnome and do the research
> work. Once we figured out how it works best (which will take at least
> another major change as legacy app support is out of scope for my GSoC
> project), we can join forces with them.
> Of course that doesn't prevent us watching them and adopting part of
> their work if it's already useful to us. We have to care about which
> platforms / distro releases Sugar runs on as well, though, so using
> bleeding edge code must be considered carefully.

Indeed, I think the Gnome work referred to is Gnome Zeitgeist [1], and
is scheduled for release as part of 'GNOME 3.0' in a year.  Zeitgeist
seems to be the file manager overhaul, but I could swear I remember
people talking about a GNOME olpcfs-ish file versioning system months
back, but can't seem to find any references to this offhand.

Bobby

1 - http://live.gnome.org/GnomeZeitgeist