[Sugar-devel] GSoC Proposal: Multimedia Broadcasting

Geza Kovacs gkovacs at MIT.EDU
Sat Apr 11 21:39:37 EDT 2009

On 04/11/2009 07:07 PM, Carol Farlow Lerche wrote:
> It seems like this conversation is somewhat at cross-purposes.  Martin
> discusses the general case of multicast from an arbitrary client through
> an access point serving many clients with a mixture of multicast and
> unicast traffic.  Well known performance problems result.  However, Geza
> proposes a special case (perhaps).  In a classroom, it would be nice to
> be able to have a "projector" to send a stream of video to the stations
> within that classroom.  Now, not every school could have extra hardware
> for this purpose, but I think many could, just as our schools of yore
> had that funky projector that got rolled into the classroom on the
> morning when our teacher wanted us to see (or sleep through :-) a movie
> about something or other.
>
> What might be interesting is to consider the possibiliity of connecting
> the projector client via a USB ethernet connector to a separate
> "multicast" access point, that the receiving clients associated with for
> the time of the "movie".  This allows the originator of the stream to
> use a wired connection to the AP, the AP to be chosen and configured to
> optimize multicasting, and the whole thing to be somewhat isolated from
> the unicast traffic happening elsewhere.

I don't think requiring an additional access point is the right way to
accomplish this. As you said, hardware is expensive, so it would be
unrealistic to install a new access point into every classroom, and if
it were only available in certain classrooms then we're back to what we
have right now with projectors - only those classrooms which have them
at the moment can use them. As for adding the need for a wired
connection to the AP, as I understand the XS already has one so it might
be used as a "relay" so that the actual source machine is simply sending
the XS the signal over unicast and the XS is handling the multicasting.
Personally I don't like the notion of requiring any wiring because that
would limit the locations from which video could be broadcast - say you
wouldn't be able to project a video stream from a lab station unless it
was pre-wired before class to do so. I think limiting airtime usage on
the existing network, by limiting framerates, viewers, or similar
mechanisms, is the optimal way to solve this issue - additional hardware
requirements would mean that this couldn't immediately be of use in many
existing deployments.

Right now I'm thinking that, given that I saw at max one full-motion
video in class each school year in high school, full-motion video is
really a limited niche to be addressing. Given that lecture slides are
shown in many classes via projectors basically every day, then extremely
low framerate video is really the key to be thinking about here (simply
broadcasting the lecture slides in PDF format and using libpoppler to
render them client-side and broadcasting slide transition notices could
also work - I actually implemented something like this last semester,
but then we have the issue that most teachers prefer to present slides
directly from PowerPoint/OpenOffice, and that all kinds of issues might
occur if the teacher uses specialized fonts or the like).

I don't believe that lecture slides, which could be broadcast at much
lower framerates (1 fps MJPEG is 100 Kbps per stream) and would thus
occupy very little bandwidth and airtime, would suffer any of the issues
that Martin and I have been discussing. I've updated my proposal
accordingly to reflect the emphasis on broadcasting of lecture slides.
Of course this doesn't mean I'm not planning to implement the features I
originally proposed - this is merely a contingency plan so that Sugar
Labs is left with a useful product nevertheless if technical issues make
full-motion video broadcasting infeasible.