[Sugar-devel] GSoC proposal: Speech Synthesis

chirag jain chiragjain1989 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 13:10:28 EDT 2009

Keyboard Speaker

As I proposed in my proposal about the keyboard speaker, I want to
make it more elaborate and wants you to comment.

I am thinking it to implement in two ways....

1.  A single key speaker.

In this option, the keyboard speaker will simply speak the keys as a
small child presses them. This functionality can help him learn the
alphabets and also the name of some speacial characters. Like on
pressing the * key the speaker speeks asterisk, on pressing the # key
it will speak the hash word and so on.

2. A single word speaker

Now this functionality can be implemented with write activity. This
can be achieved with the help of a pykeylogger which will run in the
background. Now as the user types words in the write activity, the
pykeylogger will store all the characters typed. As the user presses
the space, all the words which are actually forming the word typed by
the user, and which are stored by the pykeylogger will be sent to the
TTS engine. So in this manner as the user types one word the speaker
will speak the entire word typed.
This feature will be helpful to the children in knowing the exact
pronunciation of the word they are typing. Also they can easily
memorize the word and at the same time can learn those newly typed
words.
These two options can be provided with the GUI for the speech
configuration which I have already proposed in my application.
I want comments on this idea.

Regards
Chirag