[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Unified Objects (was Unified bundles)

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Wed Apr 8 19:25:13 EDT 2009

On 8 Apr 2009, at 20:17, Wade Brainerd wrote:

> The idea that activities actually exist in the Journal (and only in
> the Journal) is really exciting to me.

Yes, it's a right old lucky dip mess for what you find in Journal for
Activity bundles just now. Old bundle versions that you're not sure if
you erase if it will also de-install the newer version of it (I've had
this happen a few time but haven't tested behaviour lately); and many
bundles missing altogether from Journal as an activity arrived via
some other non-journal route to you system (pre-installed, software-
update, manual sugar-install-bundle).

> To fully realize this, we should unpack their .xo bundles *into their
> Journal entry directory*,  not /home/user/Activities.

I like it, that would resolve the distros from what seems like using
arbitrary directories the user has no control over.

> Also, the default Activities should be present in the Journal, which
> means the Journal would not be empty at install time.
>
> And finally, the Home view should actually be a special view of the
> Journal, showing all Journal entries that are activities.  As Aleksey
> says, this would open up all kinds of possibilities for alternate Home
> views which are different views of the Journal.

Yep. The current home list view could die, no need for it, and the
default ring view content would show an icon for each unique Activity
bundle from the Journal providing the same view we see now. We could
use the Journal favourite star for the same purpose as currently in
the home list view, so any Activity bundle with a Journal favourite
star would appear in the home ring.

Home view is then just a view type of the Journal, actually you could
finally drop the 'Journal as a separate activity object' and just have
a home with a favourite view and (at least one but could be list and
grid) journal view.

> Is this the direction we should be moving in?

I do like that it seems to simplify the UI and reduce code needing to
be maintained.

Regards,
--Gary