[Sugar-devel] Binary Blobs (was: Re: [IAEP] Fwd: Heart Rate Monitor Peripheral)

Wade Brainerd wadetb at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 15:23:22 EDT 2009

I would really like to have an official mechanism for dealing with
this, as it's preventing several of my activities from working on
SoaS.

I used to just include x86 Python 2.5 compiled modules in my bundles,
but now we are supporting more architectures.

One proposal is to have a build machine which supports cross compiling
all our supported architectures, which can compile the blobs.  Then we
include all the blobs inside the .xo bundle.  This is like what OSX
does with Application bundles.

Another is to support compile-on-install.  This requires a build
system to be present on the user's machine, which is a steep
requirement.

I'm leaning towards #1, we just need to work out the details and get it set up.

-Wade