[Sugar-devel] accessibility

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Wed Apr 8 12:17:15 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 17:59, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> Also, it is starting to look like gnome 2.30 will be released as 3.0.
> There may be some major changes in store.

There are. The gnome/freedesktop guys are moving more and more stuff
to non-UI backends, meaning we can reuse more and more code. The catch
is that we lack right now the engineering resources to work with them
so Sugar can make best use of those services. On the bright side, we
have been quite lucky to date and we have been able to reuse lots of
stuff already.

They intend to move to an UI shell that will require advanced graphics
hw, meaning that they are going to have to support as well the
traditional desktop for quite a while. Sugar could probably benefit
from that because as GNOME will be maintaining two user experiences
already, a third one like Sugar could get into a better position.

Regarding the new activities-based workflow and "file" manager, it's
conceivable that Sugar could share the same backend as them (so we
could drop our DataStore) but that would require again engineering
resources that we don't currently have.

Maybe in 2-5 years we could drop the current Sugar codebase and move
to a lighter skin on top of GNOME 3.x?

Regards,

Tomeu