[Sugar-devel] SoaS appliance in VirtualBox

Luke Faraone luke at faraone.cc
Mon Apr 6 16:45:11 EDT 2009

Hi,

Todd Baker (who isn't currently subscribed) recently emailed
help at laptop.orgwith some issues he had with using the SoaS VirtualBox
appliances. I'm also
having the same issue as he is, and am unable to come up with a solution.

Any ideas?
--
Luke Faraone
http://luke.faraone.cc

Todd wrote:
OK, here's where I'm at with getting the VirtualBox Sugar VM going. I've
followed the steps on the Wiki at Suraglabs.org but when I create the VM and
attach the drive image (vmdk) and boot I get past Grub but just see a cursor
"_" in the upper left hand corner and OS fails to load, never reaching Sugar
desktop environment. If I remember correctly, there is also info on the Wiki
on setting up a virtual machine using the Live CD and I could try this, but
I would like to make sure our Vbox image / instructions work. Hopefully this
is something specific to my machine or an error on my part.

I've attached the VirtualBox XML config file and log file. I'm using
VirtualBox v2.1.4 (non-free) on Kubuntu 8.04 with Kernel 2.6.24-23-generic.
My other VM's are running fine.

On a side note, I did manage to get sugar-emulator installed from Ubuntu
repositories but it didn't pull all dependencies and I had to install
python-gst package to get it going....

tbaker at tbaker:~$ sugar-emulator
INFO:sugar-emulator:Attempting to find free port for X11 (Xephyr)
INFO:sugar-emulator: Found free port: #5 (6005)
INFO:sugar-emulator:Starting the Xephyr nested X display on display 5
DEBUG:sugar-emulator:Xephyr command: Xephyr :5 -ac -fullscreen -dpi 96
INFO:sugar-emulator:Attempting to launch sugar to replace this process:
dbus-launch dbus-launch --exit-with-session sugar-shell
expected keysym, got XF86KbdLightOnOff: line 70 of pc
expected keysym, got XF86KbdBrightnessDown: line 71 of pc
expected keysym, got XF86KbdBrightnessUp: line 72 of pc
expected keysym, got XF86KbdLightOnOff: line 70 of pc
expected keysym, got XF86KbdBrightnessDown: line 71 of pc
expected keysym, got XF86KbdBrightnessUp: line 72 of pc
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic, removing
from list!
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/sugar-shell", line 22, in <module>
from main import main
File "/usr/share/sugar/shell/main.py", line 35, in <module>
from view.Shell import Shell
File "/usr/share/sugar/shell/view/Shell.py", line 38, in <module>
from view.frame.frame import Frame
File "/usr/share/sugar/shell/view/frame/frame.py", line 30, in <module>
from view.frame.zoomtoolbar import ZoomToolbar
File "/usr/share/sugar/shell/view/frame/zoomtoolbar.py", line 25, in
<module>
from model.shellmodel import ShellModel
File "/usr/share/sugar/shell/model/shellmodel.py", line 24, in <module>
from model.MeshModel import MeshModel
File "/usr/share/sugar/shell/model/MeshModel.py", line 25, in <module>
from hardware import hardwaremanager
File "/usr/share/sugar/shell/hardware/hardwaremanager.py", line 20, in
<module>
import gst
ImportError: No module named gst

Thanks,

-Todd
Please cc Todd as he is currently not subscribed to this list.