[Sugar-devel] youtube ...

Luke Faraone luke at faraone.cc
Sun Apr 5 00:28:07 EDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 10:36 PM, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org>wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Daniel Gross <daniel.gross at utoronto.ca>
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >

> > I tried running youtube on the OLPC. The browser showed to click here to
> run
> > flash, but flash never ran. Did anyone manage to run youtube in the
> browser?
> > Is there a flash puggin needed? If so, does it exist?

Gnash, which OLPC uses by default, is terrible in that version of the OS.
Even if you installed the official Flash plugin from Adobe, it is too much
overhead for the XO to handle. The best Youtube support I have seen on the
XO is in debxo using totem plugins (written in C afaict and directly playing
the video file through RSS magic)

> FWIW,
>
> I have not been able to get youtube on gnash working on ubuntu 8.10
> but it works fine on 9.04.

But Ubuntu as a rule doesn't work well on the XO :(

> So, when sugar runs on ubuntu 9.04 we will be getting pretty close!

I have not tried the latest version of Gnash in Jaunty, but if this is the
case it will be most welcome, and will greatly ease the deployment of Sugar
in schools.

--
Luke Faraone
http://luke.faraone.cc