[Sugar-devel] GSoC Proposal: Multimedia Broadcasting

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 07:52:13 EDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 1:45 PM, Geza Kovacs <gkovacs at mit.edu> wrote:
> the local Icecast streaming server over HTTP. Surely you must agree that
> that is possible?

And very *quickly* saturate the available bandwidth :-/

Our deployment scenarios have lots of laptops. Groups of 20, 30 or
even 50 kids per classroom. Deployments will have maybe 1 AP per 50
XOs. And you cannot assume that it's your app the only thing happening
in the network.

RF saturation is a _very_ real problem. We had some horror stories
with early 802.11s issues, part implementation, part our own errors in
not considering the network as something that we could saturate or
break.

So - breaking news: dense wifi networks have (by definition almost)
horrid bandwidth, and are trivial to saturate to the point that they
become useless.

Wireless is a shared medium -- not a switched one. Think about that :-/

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions