[Sugar-devel] Fwd: Proposal of Google Summer of Code

Eben Eliason eben at laptop.org
Thu Apr 2 21:07:36 EDT 2009

I had this idea when I was making the very first mockups of Paint, and
I think it's a great idea! Check out the mockup: it's the brush with
the little gear next to it, which I always referred to as the
"behavior brush".
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image:Activity_paint_tools.jpg

The secondary palette for the brush would offer a list of different
behaviors (which should be object which can be copied, shared,
installed, etc., ideally). More importantly, the behaviors would be
defined by simple scripts which took some basic pre-defined parameters
(or maybe even allowed the creator of the behavior to define new
parameters, linked to sliders or checkboxes or what have you...not
sure), offered some predefined ways to size the brush, set colors,
draw shapes, and make brush strokes, and thus allowed creation of
behaviors with some simple syntax.

As an example, you could have a "mirror" behavior which read in the
current coordinates, and then made two marks with the brush mirrored
across the middle of the canvas. A custom parameter could define which
axis (or axes) were mirrored. You could have brushes which added
randomness to the position making squiggly lines; or a brush which set
the color based on the time to draw rainbow strokes; or a brush that
worked like an airbrush of star shapes. The possibilities are endless,
I think.

Anyway, as Ben said, focus isn't on activities; but I wanted to chime
in since I think this is truly a fantastic idea and I'd love to see it
happen.

Eben

PS. I also had plans to allow behavior shapes, as well:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image:Activity_paint_shapes_polygon.jpg