[Sugar-devel] Local static page, final call for edits (Re: [RELEASE] Browse-106)

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Thu Apr 2 14:25:09 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Eben Eliason <eben at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 1:46 PM, Martin Langhoff
> <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 7:29 PM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>>> My understanding is that we are going to be interested in providing
>>> other sugar-specific services than collaboration in a server, like
>>> backups.
>>
>> Yes - there's a lot more than collaboration on the XS. Backups,
>> internet access, upgrades, lots of stuff. Printing, if the GSoC
>> proposal is a winner. All of that makes for a very long link name ;-)
>
> Fair enough
>
>> ...'School' is shorter...
>
> Yes, but it's still a misnomer. Nothing about this server ties it to a
> school, right? Maybe it's one we're OK with, but I want to make sure
> that it actually makes sense in most contexts if we're going to use
> it.

School, on a metaphorical level, is a place where learning happens,
where children go every day, form a group, community, play, exchange,
wrestle, eat, interact, etc. So, metaphorically, to me, school is a
central focal point. School is also probably a more commonly
understood term in many cultures than say, collaboration...I can't
think of the equivalent of collaboration in Hindi. So maybe we drop
the "server" part and simply call it school?

--
Sameer