[Sugar-devel] [Server-devel] Gadget on XS

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Apr 1 16:38:12 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 04:49:33PM +0100, Guillaume Desmottes wrote:
>Le mercredi 01 avril 2009 à 17:37 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard a écrit :

>>   1. Is it a Debian package of Gadget, ejabberd or something else?
>
>The link I pasted you is a git branch of Gadget containing a 'debian'
>directory used for the packaging.
>These files are
>http://dev.laptop.org/git/projects/gadget/tree/debian?h=debian
>

>>   2. If it is a Gadget package, is it targeted for Debian officially?
>
>It could but has not been proposed to Debian yet.
>
>>   3. If yes, are you interested in help maintaining such package?
>>
>>   4. If no, are you interested in helping maintain it officially?
>
>Sure. Any help is welcome.

Ah, I see now that Dafydd is participating in that packaging, and that
he is an active Debian maintainer already maintaining Telepathy and
Farsight officially for Debian.

I suspect you have no need for my help here.  I would personally use a
different packaging style (Wrap debhelper with CDBS and extend with more
CDBS wrappers, host the packaging Git at Alioth collab-maint area to
ease collaboration with other Debian developers, etc.).  But all that is
really just "nice to have", not "need to have".  And such changes could
demotivate Dafydd or others from collaborating - not everyone fancy same
packaging styles.

If you are still interested in my help, then tell me! I will then
happily repackage using CDBS at Alioth and release officially for
Debian.  And I will help provide write access to that new Git to you and
other non-Debian folks possibly interested in participating directly
(Dafydd have write access already).

Else I will just lean back and wait for Dafydd to eventually release the
package himself in his own pace officially to Debian.

(actually no, I will not just "lean back": I will move on to other
packages needing help - e.g. Abiword which I am working on at the
moment, to get the Write activity to Debian)

>Sorry, I was quite busy when I replied to your mail.

Ah, makes sense.

>Hope it's clearer now.

I understand it now, yes. Thanks :-)

  - Jonas