[sugar] Compile sugar-jhbuild under debian patch

Olly Betts olly
Mon Sep 29 05:54:34 EDT 2008

Marco Pesenti Gritti <mpgritti at gmail.com> writes:
> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 2:35 AM, Guy Sheffer <guysoft42 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > In the process of compiling sugar for debian I came across a compilation
> > bug in the declaration of string.h in xapian.
> >
> > I am attaching a patch that fixes the problem and lets this stage
> > compile in debian. It should be harmless to other distros.
> >
> > I hope you can commit it in to the code. Or tell me who I should turn to
> > commit it.
>
> Xapian is a dependency, we cannot apply patches to it directly. Which
> version of Debian are you using? Which version of xapian does it
> provide?

Guy is hitting a compilation error in Xapian, so he must be trying to compile
it himself rather than using the version Debian have packaged.

The solution is either to use a packaged version of Xapian (for Debian, either
the version of Xapian which Debian have packaged, or the backported packages of
newer versions available from http://xapian.org/), or if you want to build from
source, use a newer release.

Xapian 1.0.3, 1.0.5, and 1.0.7 all fixed implicit header inclusion bugs
uncovered by GCC 4.3 snapshots (which evolved to uncover more such issues),
and the fixes in 1.0.3 explicitly mention <string.h>.

If you have compilation problems with the *latest* release, please report
them at:

http://xapian.org/bugs

Cheers,
    Olly