[sugar] Signed candidate-765 and gg-765-2 builds available for testing.

C. Scott Ananian cscott
Sun Sep 28 10:39:59 EDT 2008

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 3:47 AM, S Page <info at skierpage.com> wrote:
> Michael Stone wrote:
>> I have decided to publish 8.2-765 as a signed Candidate
[...]
>   sudo olpc-update 8.2-765
> led to
>   WARNING: You seem to be attempting to download an unsigned
[...]
>   sudo olpc-update candidate-765
> is updating without complaint on my un-security-disabled XO.

Yes, that's the expected behavior.  The 'candidate' name gives you the
signed image; the 8.2-xyz is still the unsigned version of the same
build.

In the past I tried to retroactively make tags like 8.2-xyz point to
the signed image once a build had obtained the necessary checkoffs to
be signed, but this turned out to be too confusing: when people
reported problems with 8.2-xyz, I wouldn't know whether they'd tried
before or after I'd make the change, or if the image was signed or
unsigned.

> So I think you could or should change
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Template:Latest_Releases/rc to
> "candidate-765", and update Friend_in_testing to replace "1. Get a
> developer key for your XO laptop." with "Anyone with a mass production
> XO can upgrade to this candidate release (you don't need a developer key)."

This sounds good to me.  I don't think you need to wait for Michael to
make this change, could you go ahead and update the wiki?

>> I have also published gg-765-2, a signed G1G1 candidate
>> composite image, created by Scott. gg-765-2 is similar to what we hope
>> to put into manufacturing next week.
>
> This doesn't work using olpc-update, right?
>   sudo olpc-update gg-765-2
> gave
>   @ERROR: unknown module 'build-gg-765-2': bad build identifier: gg-765-2.

No, the gg-752-2 is a "clean install" image, with preinstalled
activities.  The factory installs this with 'copy-nand' before the
machines leave the assembly line.  It *should* be exactly the same as
what you'd get if you 'olpc-update' to candidate-765 and then let the
software updater install updated activities -- except that olpc-update
will also preserve whatever "extra" activities you've already got
installed, the contents of your journal, etc.
  --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )