[sugar] G1G1 Pre-installed Activities Request for Help, Testing

Sameer Verma sverma
Fri Sep 26 12:26:19 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 3:15 PM, Greg Smith <gregsmitholpc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sameer,
>
> I don't see a lot of support yet (I had to look up innumerate in the
> dictionary :-) but the Google spreadsheet has been very helpful for me.
> I like to think I'm not innumerate but I can be obdurate.

I had to look up obdurate :-)

> I hope we keep using it and people can take what they want from it.

Agreed.

> Each release that goes to manufacturing for G1G1 shipments needs to have
> a set of activities pre-installed. Other deployments generally get to
> pick which activities they want or they start with the default "G1G1 set".
>
> The same is true of the libraries that you see on the upper left of the
> opening Browse screen. I leave that area to SJ.
>
> In the end, which activities get shipped is up to "the boss" but they
> are open to suggestions and input. The one critical thing is that the
> activity must be stable and well supported.

Indeed. Whoever makes the decision about what activities will ship,
its a binary outcome at that point. Ship/Don't ship. I've seen plenty
of "strategic IT" decisions made on golf courses to know how that goes
;-)

However, the weighted scoring approach makes it easier to spread the
decision making across multiple criteria. I use it heavily in my own
decisions with everything from buying a car, to selecting a school for
my daughter.

> Aside from that we can make any suggestion we want and give a
> justification for it as we see fit.
>
> I need to find out how flexible we can be about adding or changing the
> activities we ship when 8.2.1 goes to manufacturing. Assuming we have
> some flexibility to change or add, we should start identifying the
> suggested changes now.

OK.

> I think the spreadsheet is a step in the right direction. If it can help
> us uncover activities that clearly stand out from the pack that would be
> very helpful in deciding the next set to ship.
>
> FYI one thing I learned in this exercise is that activity authors are
> available and interested in improving their activities for XO users. We
> have a little momentum now so I want to revive the excitement in the
> activity authoring community.

That's the other purpose of such an approach. If a particular activity
scored low on "Uniqueness" and "Uniqueness" is of great importance for
a given deployment, that's good feedback to the activity's author.

> I'll follow up on that, after we finish the final regression tests of 8.2.

OK. I'd be more than happy to help.

I've cleaned up a lot of the items on the spreadsheet that were
creating confusion. I've basically moved the core stuff to another
tab. The old stuff is in the Matrix (deprecated) tab. The new material
is in the Matrix (current) tab. Notes tab has basic information and
Glossary tab has definitions of "Epistemiological Impact" etc.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=p_Xhb6KcXLyEViA50CnCaDg&hl=en

> If all goes as planned, XOs will start rolling off the line with 8.2 in
> six days from today!

My fingers are crossed!

cheers,

Sameer