[sugar] composite memory usage [was Re: frame auto-visibility configuration]

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti
Wed Sep 24 17:28:39 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 9:11 PM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net> wrote:
> Bernie has talked about some wm hints that can be set on windows so
> they get unredirected and thus their offscreen pixmaps released. Not
> sure if matchbox would support them, though.
>
> Related with all this is the decision to switch window managers.
>
> Perhaps keeping redirected just the two activities on top of the stack
> plus the desktop window may be enough? I think that would mean a
> constant 12MB, approx.

If I understood Bernie explanation correctly, using so much video
memory would have bad effects on the general performance of the
system. (Other things will be kicked out of system memory and will
slow down graphics performance).

Marco