[sugar] frame auto-visibility configuration

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu
Wed Sep 24 13:57:34 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 7:51 PM, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
> On 24 Sep 2008, at 18:25, Eduardo H. Silva wrote:
>
>> Wow, just tried Erik's instructions for using xcompmgr, and it's
>> amazing how swift the frame slides, and how I don't see any screen
>> redraws. The experience is totally more fluid. Does it degrade overall
>> performance? If not much, and if that performance degradation could be
>> recovered in another area in Sugar (general performanfe improvements),
>> I'd vote for this to exist in joyride and even part of future stable
>> builds.
>
> Just curious, you guys running on XO hardware?

I hope so ;)

The XO hardware is not so slow, the only problem is that using the
existing resources as well as possible takes time and we don't have
much of that. It also requires some expertise that the Sugar team
lacks at this moment, as well.

Remember that most of the software we reuse is developed by people
that long ago stopped worrying about hardware similar to the XO, so we
are the ones that should be improving performance in all that mountain
of software. Focus on linux on embedded devices may help on that, but
the hardware others use may be very different to the geode :/

Regards,

Tomeu