[sugar] frame auto-visibility configuration

Erik Garrison erik
Wed Sep 24 12:37:38 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 12:25:43PM -0400, Eben Eliason wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Erik Garrison <erik at laptop.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 11:25:51AM -0400, Eben Eliason wrote:
> >> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 10:52 AM, Erik Garrison <erik at laptop.org> wrote:
> > By "saving" I mean that changes in activity state trigger
> > Activity.save().  This hits jffs2 and the NAND.
>
> Sure, as Tomeu says, we could add a dirty bit.  Of course, it seems
> that the Frame-based solution should actually be preventing this
> (given a long enough delay on revealing the activity window, or not
> revealing until releasing alt-tab), since the activities don't even
> get focused at all immediately.   Only those you pause or stop on
> should be doing any saving of state, and even then only if needed.

How long of a pause or stop triggers auto-save?

We could also save on user idle.  Say, when the user is idle for more
than 5 seconds and we haven't saved in the last 2 minutes.  Or we could
just auto-save every N minutes.  Both of these options would decouple
CPU-intensive actions from user intervention, with the effect of
improved system responsiveness.

Erik