[sugar] frame auto-visibility configuration

Erik Garrison erik
Wed Sep 24 12:25:26 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 06:08:47PM +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 5:25 PM, Eben Eliason <eben.eliason at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 10:52 AM, Erik Garrison <erik at laptop.org> wrote:
> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> On tabbing we are currently auto-toggling the frame.  Are we sure that
> >> this is necessary?  Could we include a configuration option to change
> >> this?
> >
> > I disagree that showing the Frame is a bad idea.  It emphasizes the
> > purpose of the top edge of the Frame, and provides context while
> > tabbing so that it's easy to see where you want to "get to".
> >
> >> Drawing the frame animation during tabbing robs us of processor right
> >> when we need it, slowing the perceived transition time between windows.
> >
> > Drawing the Frame does take a little effort, it's true.  Compositing
> > support should later speed this up a good deal.
>
> We also shouldn't be autosaving when the activity is not dirty (most
> of the time when alt-tabbing).
>
> May be easier to actually enable composition and disable autosaving
> (by editing activity.py) than speculating here about cutting
> functionality.

My observations are partly coming from testing on composition and no
autosave...  You're right that others should give it a whirl.

> Who could give this a try?

I have patches to enable composition in Sugar's main.py.  We'll have to
push xcompmgr into the builds as well.

I also have a patch to disable autosaving (again with a flag in home,
/home/olpc/no-auto-save).

For what it's worth I'm attaching them here.  Perhaps we should start a
new thread to discuss these?

Erik