[sugar] Multiple branches and translation of strings - seeking suggestions for best practices

Simon Schampijer simon
Tue Sep 23 03:07:03 EDT 2008

Hi Arjun,

Sarwal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For the Activity that I maintain,  I maintain two branches - devel and
> stable. At the time of a release contents of devel=stable.
>
> I am realizing that I am not implementing the best practice.
>
> As time passes stable continues to remain the same while I do
> development in devel. Thus devel becomes very divergent from stable.
> This also causes a large amount of strings to remain untranslated
> because stable is being translated and perhaps it doesnt make sense
> (?) to translate devel until a release into stable is made.
>
> So I want to ask,
>
> 1. Is there any use of maintaining such branches  ? Or should I have
> just one development branch and 'tag' it at a release ?

We do our development (unstable) on the master branch. Then when we have
a special moment in time like the 8.2 release we make a special branch
for that release, and do fixes specific to that release in that branch,
this is now a stable branch
(http://sugarlabs.org/go/ReleaseTeam#Branching). Ongoing development
happens then in master. (Have a look at the browse activity, the master
and sucrose-0.82 branch or the sugar module...)

It is good to follow this. For example i was not able to see where the
last measure activity has been released from

http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=projects/measure;a=summary

Do you use ./setup.py release to do a release?

> 2. If I do maintain such branches, should one undergo a cycle of
> localization(Translation) after each release of code from devel branch
> is made ?

Translators do now have the ability (in pootle) to translate in the
stable or unstable branch (sayamindu can give a more detailed explanation).

Best,
    Simon