[sugar] Supporting desktop applications, extending the EWMH spec

Walter Bender walter.bender
Sat Sep 20 23:54:52 EDT 2008

I am curious: do we have a taxonomy of the various applications we are
expecting to see. Has there been a characterization of the problem we
are trying to solve? The Gimp, which is a mess in any wm, seems to be
the only example of a lots of floating little windows application
anyone ever mentions. There is the issue of opening multiple documents
in Inkscape, as Scott mentioned, but those really could just as well
be handled as separate virtual desktops. What are the other cases? I
guess there are programs like SKYPE that fall into the Gimp camp. But
I wonder if we have any data? (I run SKYPE in Bert's X Activity
without a problem.) I'm not a big gamer: is that where all these
problem applications are?

-walter