[sugar] Supporting desktop applications, extending the EWMH spec

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti
Fri Sep 19 15:56:29 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 9:43 PM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at cscott.net> wrote:
> Well, if there's only one window, and it's "stretchable", then your
> decision is easy.
> If it requests a fixed size, then you should probably decorate and
> float all the windows.  I could also see floating all fixed size
> windows and tiling all "stretchable" windows -- that would make the
> 'gimp' work nicely; all the palettes would be floating and all the
> drawings would be tiled.  And that's using only the "stretchable"
> hint. =)
>
> I'm not entirely opposed to adding new hints for oddball apps, but I'd
> like 99% of apps to work as-is, and from my review of the wms out
> there, it seems quite plausible that we can do this.
>
> FWIW, the wm itself can add hints based on window class for outliers,
> without requiring the outliers themselves to be changed.

I see you mention three window managers on your page (including
metacity). It would nice to see a quick analysis of their
strengths/weaknesses for our use case...

If we go with this approach, Sugar itself is likely to require small
or no changes and I can just let you and Sayamindu deal with all of it
:)

Marco