[sugar] Supporting desktop applications, extending the EWMH spec

C. Scott Ananian cscott
Fri Sep 19 15:37:58 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 3:33 PM, Benjamin M. Schwartz
<bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

> We are talking about replacing Matchbox with Metacity in the XO build of
> Sugar.

Right, I think that's where you're going wrong.  You should be
considering replacing Matchbox with "a better window manager".
Metacity is the wrong one.

> | When I run
> | sugar under metacity, I don't *want* my activities to be full screen.
>
> I think you mean "When I run Sugar inside a standard desktop environment
> on a computer with a large monitor..."

No, I mean what I said.  Who says 1200x900 is small?

> | Some of the links at the top of
> | http://wiki.laptop.org/go/9.1.0#Suggestions_from_User:CScott point to
> | window managers we could run on the XO to provide better support of
> | the 'each activity has a full screen' window management mode.
>
> That is the role for which we are discussing Metacity.

again, that's probably not the right window manager to be looking at.
Metacity is not designed to do this, and the maintainer does not like
to add cruft to it.  It is the poster child of the *non*extensible,
*do things only one way* window manager.  Not the right one for this.
 --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )