[sugar] Design Meeting MINUTES

Mikus Grinbergs mikus
Thu Sep 18 14:39:18 EDT 2008

Regarding Icon Reviews: Access Point:

> The proposal discussed wraps the former AP icon (the circle) in "parenthesis"

I'm in favor of such a visual indication for "AP connected".

> alternate designs were proposed

This brings up the whole topic of the status of the connection to
the school server:

At the moment, I myself am not clear on the purpose of the
Neighborhood View vs. the Frame.  One possible interpretation is
that the Neighborhood View shows things the kid could act with in
the FUTURE (e.g., select an AP for his connection to the internet),
whereas the Frame shows the status of things in the PRESENT (e.g.,
the characteristics of an existing AP connection).

In particular, it is not clear to me whether (in the overall Sugar
design) if there is a currently selected AP, then that AP __MUST__
be how the kid accesses his school server.

  -  If the answer is 'yes', all that is needed is a "binary" visual
indicator for the school server - if it is present, then the kid is
connected to the (backup repository at) school; if it is absent, the
kid does not have a connection to the school server.  [The
characteristics of HOW the kid is connected to the school would be
shown on the existing "connection" icon in the Frame.]

  -  If the answer is 'no' (e.g., if the kid can be connected to the
school using one IP address, and be connected to the internet / his
buddies through a different IP address), then a "fancier" visual
indicator ought to be used to identify the connection to the school.

I believe that "connected to the school server" should be an
explicit visual signal presented to the kid.  Whether that signal
should be presented in the Frame only, needs to be discussed.

mikus