[sugar] Finale: consider merging a few fun Sugar patches?

Michael Stone michael
Wed Sep 17 20:41:28 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 02:30:30AM +0200, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
>* At *very* high level the patch sets looks sane. I would be
>comfortable with them going in if Scott reviews Martin set, and Martin
>reviews Scott set.

Sounds good. Hopefully there are a few other sugar volunteers who could
chip in to help look for regressions?

>* The patches are large and I don't think it's impossible that they
>would cause regressions. Our release manager should be aware of it and
>keep loving us if it happens.

I'm the one who'se suggesting it, so I'd take the blame.

>* I would help by getting packages in the builds and doing a bit of testing.

This can happen immediately, yes?

>> P.P.S. - Eben mentioned to me that he was concerned that people might
>> falsely interpret some of the new 8.2.0 Sugar APIs as stable when they
>> are, in fact, almost certain to change in the next major release. I
>> would find it commendable if some Sugar developer took this last
>> opportunity to add some bold comments to the relevant APIs warning
>> developers who examine them about this probable future breakage.
>
>Eben, what APIs are you thinking about? In general the whole Sugar API
>will need to be reviewed. I have yet to figure out when, how and what
>kind of backward compatibility we offer. It's something I'll be
>working on in the next few weeks.

Eben specifically mentioned the APIs used by Frame devices, layouts, and
Control Panel entries.

Michael