[sugar] moving the activity registry into the shell module

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti
Tue Sep 16 07:32:45 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 1:11 PM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 4:23 PM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net> wrote:
>>
>> So I'm going to start moving this functionality into the shell, and
>> when nothing remain in sugar-toolkit that depends on the registry,
>> will remove the activity registry from the API. Hope patches will be
>> reviewable in this way.
>
> Scott's sugar-update-control is using the activity registry API in
> sugar-toolkit, so after it gets moved into the shell, some changes
> will be required. I don't expect the API to change substantially,
> though.

[ccing Scott and Michael, I would really like to hear your opinion on
this since it touches both security and updates in some ways]

The substantial change is that it will need to use shell internal API
to deal with the activity registry.

IMO the activity registry should ideally be public (to code running as
olpc user). But not through a dbus service, we can use the filesystem
and cache/mmap stuff as necessary if we run into performance/memory
issues.

Though I'm not sure how much priority we need to give to that for
0.84. It might be wise to not expose that API outside the shell until
it has a good implementation.

Marco