[sugar] frame gets in the way when alt-tabbing

Mikus Grinbergs mikus
Mon Sep 15 00:59:52 EDT 2008

760.  Running (on my XO) a ported Linux application which puts up
multiple screens.  As far as I could tell. I was able to access all
of those screens by using the alt-tab procedure.  But while doing
this the Frame was unacceptably intrusive.  For instance, I could
not see the titles on the top line, which identified each screen.

If I rapidly pressed alt-tab and released -- the XO would not bother
to switch screens.  If I slowly pressed alt, then tab - the XO would
bring up the Frame.  I would need to release and press tab another
time to get the XO to switch to the next screen (while still showing
the Frame).  I would need to release alt to get the XO to stop
overlaying the screen edges with the Frame.  [And it seemed to me
that sometimes the Frame would not go away even then - I would have
to press and release the Frame key to ensure that it was gone for good.]

--------

One of the first things I did upon getting my G1G1 was to go into
one of the .py files and __NOOP__ the "autoraising" of the Frame.
That gave me Sugar screen behavior that was under *my* control.

Now, Sugar has again started to interfere with what I am doing --
by raising the Frame when I alt-tab.  I HATE THAT!  I HATE THAT!
I thought the idea was to have the human in control of the computer,
instead of the computer dictating what the human may see.

I would like the Frame function in the Control Panel to allow me to
optionally disable the automatic showing of the Frame upon alt-tab.
  [Let *me* decide when I want to see the Frame !]

In the meantime, I guess I will have to go back to modifying the .py
files in Sugar - to reclaim Sugar screen behavior that does not
interfere with my use of the computer.

mikus